Monday, October 1, 2007

Little Women: girl-book, boy-book, or neither?

My research and findings:
I was very interested in the nineteenth-century idea of the “girl-book” and “boy-book.” The first thing that I looked at (briefly) was the book The Story of a Bad Boy by Thomas Bailey Aldrich (the boy-book of the day). Google has actually digitized the entire book, so I was able to read a little and examine the images. (The book that is displayed is the original version from 1870, and I was immediately struck by the illustrations. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you look at them). I found Aldrich’s writing style to be quite humorous. Here’s a little snippet from the first chapter:
"Lest the title should mislead the reader, I hasten to assure him here that I have no dark confessions to make. I call my story the story of a bad boy, partly to distinguish myself from those faultless young gentlemen who generally figure in narratives of this kind, and partly because I really was not a cherub. "
While I was reading the first few pages of The Story of a Bad Boy, I found myself wondering how Little Women came to be considered the “girl-book” when the main character (Jo) is a such a tomboy. I found an article from the New England Quarterly by John W. Crowley which discusses this exact conundrum.

My Interpretation:
Crowley discusses the idea of the boy-book and the manner in which it was introduced to the reading public, stressing the point that it “depicts a child’s world that is antagonistic to the world of adults”. He goes on to examine the world of Alcott’s Little Women and its qualification as a girl-book. He claims that it cannot be considered a girl-book because
"Aldrich, Mark Twain, Howells, and other writers of the boy-book imagine a boy-world distinct from both the adult spheres (or at least from the woman’s sphere) [while] Alcott shows the girl-world to by circumscribed by the woman’s sphere and governed by its civilizing codes. "
In my opinion, the way that the woman’s world informs that of the girl could be the main difference between the “boy-book” and the “girl-book”; however, I don’t disagree with everything that Crowley discusses in this essay. The majority of his essay is spent discussing Jo’s character and her boyishness and aggressive nature. While Jo is still a young, nurturing woman with a tendency to be dramatic and emotional, she does not fret over her appearance (cutting her hair for money to support her family) and works very hard to be a writer. She wishes that she and her sisters were boys so that “’then there wouldn’t be any bother!’” and “submits herself to a reforming self-discipline: ‘I’ll try to be what he loves to call me, a little woman, and not be rough and wild’”. This reformation and acceptance of the role which one must play in the adult world is another aspect of the boy-book which can be applied to Little Women, and therefore increases its ambiguity as a girl-book.

What I think it adds to our class discussion:
In children’s literature today, the line between girl-book/boy-book has become increasingly blurred. Sure, there are some: The Babysitters’ Club, Sweet Valley High, Hardy Boys. But the most recent and popular books like Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events contain characters which cross the traditional gender boundaries. I feel that in examining books of other time periods, it is helpful to view them through a more critical lens than that to which we might be accustomed. Little Women may be called a girl-book because its main characters are all female; however, we must examine it closely to determine whether the distinction between boy-book and girl-book has always been as clear as we have assumed.

4 comments:

PaigeforPresident said...

This is really interesting. I had never thought of the series of unfortunate events in terms of gender differentiation. The comment that Harry Potter is not gendered is even more interesting to me. J. K. Rowling original abbreviated her name as the author because she did not believe that boys, her intended audience,would read a book by a female author. There is also much anger among feminists in the Children's Literature circles that Rowling does not present a single adult female successful in both the familial and the professional realms, even Hermione does not know what she wants to do when she grows up. And yet the books seem to have readers that are equally male and female. Curious.

Mark V. said...

If it helps, I think I have a specific gender blurring in ASOUE.

*Minor Spoiler Alert*








The example I remember best of the series rejecting Gender Norms occurred in Book the Third: The Wide Window.

Aunt Josephine has presents for Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. She gives a doll (Pretty Penny) to Violet. A train set to Klaus. A baby rattle for Sunny.

Long story short, the three are not thrilled with their presents. Instead, they swap presents to the person who it would make better use for. Violet gets the train set because she likes machinery. Sunny gets the doll so she can bite it. Klaus gets the rattle...

Ok, maybe Klaus doesn't work out for the best. Nevertheless, each child rejected a gift that would be "typical" for their appropriate gender. Violet is not the "normal" girl who plays with dolls and Klaus is not the "typical" boy who play with trains.




*Spoiler End*


Good point about no female successful in familial and professional realms in Harry Potter. The only two that I can think of that come close are Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonagal. I would say maybe Hermione after all after hearing J.K. Rowling's extended Epilogue points from interviews, but lack of details can't seal the deal on that.

Katy K said...

The opinion that certain books (and activities, etc.) are for girls and some are for boys is still alive and well. I find this to be incredible in our current state of political correctness and gender role awareness. I was on Amazon.com the other day and one of my suggested books was "The Daring Book for Girls." It involved various activities for parents to teach their daughters how to do, including play hearts, have good sleepovers, build a scooter and play softball. Although I really liked the idea of the book, I was surprised by how gender stereotypical the activities were. There's also a companion book, "The Dangerous Book for Boys," which teaches equally stereotypical tasks, such as playing war and building a periscope.
I really thought that parents were trying to allow children to be themselves and express whatever they want, instead of playing to gender roles. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case.

Brian said...

Back when Little Women was published, the difference between boy books and girl books was pretty apparent. For instance, Little Women was considered for girls because it was filled with feminine nuances that were thought to appeal to girls of the time, such as maternal instincts between the girls, the idea of courtship, and even the thought of a strong and independant woman in the character of Jo.
Books like Tom Sawyer appealed more to boys because it involved the adolescent imaginings that boys could relate to. However, in more modern times, the gender line has been skewed, as it seems that these books are now enjoyed equally by both genders, (although I still don't enjoy Little Women, just not my type of book).