Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Mama, Do You Love Me?"

What I researched and why:
After reading “17 Things I’m Not Allowed to do Anymore” I was curious to see the reviews that it received. Like all of the previous stories containing a misbehaving main character, I expected this book to receive much rough criticism. Surprisingly, I was wrong (well at least for the most part). As I read through tons of reviews I was only able to come across one that stated that “17 Things” was inappropriate for children. All of the other reviews raved of brilliance. http://www.jandysbooks.com/children/17things.html <’a> . Basically, this critic found it unsuitable that the main character did not show any remorse for her mischievous acts. She believes that children may be easily swayed into reproducing these wrong doings.
Upon this discovery, I remember an acclaimed story that I read as a child called “Mama, Do You Love Me?” by Barbara M. Joosse. In this story a little girl tests her mother’s love by asking her if she will still love her if she did a variety of “off of the wall” things. For example, the little girl asks if her mother will still love her if she turned into a scary monster.

What I found/My Interpretation:
I believe that there are many similarities between “17Things I’m Not Allowed to do Anymore” and “Mama, Do you love Me?” In “Mama” the little girl comes up with crazy ideas to see how unconditional her mother’s love actually is. By partaking in many naughty events, I feel that the character in “17 Things” is doing the same. At the end of story, the mother happily embraces her daughter, which shows her that her mother still loves her despite her misbehaving.
In my opinion, “17 Things” does not encourage unruly behavior in children. Covered by vibrant illustrations and a creative plot, I think it is a great way to get children interested in reading while teaching them a great meaning. I feel that many children today feel as if they are horrible children, and get the feeling that they are not cared for, when they do something wrong. Both of these books show children that even though they might do something wrong (in an adult’s eyes), that they are still cared for.

What this adds to class discussion:
In class we have be discussing the different types of criticism that can be used when examining a story. We have also looked more closely at various critics and their interpretations on our class readings. All of these are very different, and may seem crazy to others (Freud maybe?). However, all of them do have good points. Although I disagree with what the critic previously mentioned, I can understand where she is coming from. I am very curious to hear what everyone else thinks about the text, as well as the ways this book may affect the child reading it.

* I’ll bring “Mama, Do You Love Me?” to our next class.

6 comments:

Jess said...

In Tom and Huck Don't Live Here Anymore, Ron Powers wrote that national studies deemed "today's youth" more ignorant and indifferent than any other generation. While prior generations relished defending their causes in grandiose displays, the contemporary teens "rebelled against rebelling," according to the Times. However, stories such as Mama, Do You Love Me? and 17 Things foster a different attitude in the younger children of the same period. After reading Erica's description, I found it ironic that this picture book, which appeared during the period of 90's apathy, conveys to a younger set the concept of testing the boundaries of parental authority and tolerance as well as societal acceptance.

Katy K said...

Both these books are a great example of how unconditional a parents' love is, just as Erica stated. However, a parent-child relationship becomes complicated in adolescence and then adulthood. In the case of Mean Girls, and even 17 Things, it seems like a parent is just another person to manipulate. At what point does a parent realize that their child's meanness is inappropriate. I found the last page of 17 Things especially disturbing, and many of the critics did too, since this was a reversal of power between child and parent.

well, it's jules said...

I think books like "17 Things" and "Mama, Do You Love Me?" are really important when it comes to expressing a child's point of view. Adult's have a concept of what's "appropriate", however, children are still learning the world around them, including their authority figures and limitations. Books such as these might give them a way of dealing with their quiestions, even if they seem a little bit out of the ordinary. A parent-child relationship is such a complex thing because it involves concepts of unconditional love and authority. Issues that come along with that relationship need to be worked through by children, and it's important that we don't limit the ways in which that can be done.

tea5 said...

There's just a part of me that believes that 17 THINGS I'M NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANYMORE could have had more or a "button"; a better punch-line, if you will, like in Sendak's "...and it was still hot." "I'm allowed to say what I mean forevermore" is a bit of a complicated statement for children to grasp right away. I know I had to slow down when I was reading it outloud.

beth said...

I agree with Kate in the aspect of the role reversal of the parent and the child. Why aren't parents doing their jobs? 17 things is disconcerting in the end because the daughter is completely manipulating her mother and its okay and completely unpunished. I think when a child reads this book that it simply reinforces to them that they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Brian said...

I think that the meaning of this story is slightly misconstrued. I don't see it as the girl getting off scott free and learning to manipulate and lie. Instead, I see it as though the girl has the option of decieving. It's the concept of free will. The girl has the freedom to do things wrong and lie. She knows what she's not allowed to do now. But it's up to her whether or not she will take the chance to lie to an adult and get in trouble.